The new National Asthma and COPD Audit Programme (NACAP), which adds adult and paediatric asthma to the former National COPD Audit Programme, was launched on 1 March 2018. The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) has been commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) to deliver this for the forthcoming 3-5 years.
NACAP will deliver audits in England, Scotland and Wales and span the entire patient care pathway. It aims to improve the quality of care, services and clinical outcomes for patients with asthma (adult and paediatric) and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
The programme comprises six key workstreams:
- primary care audit –collection of audit data from GP patient record systems in Wales for patients with asthma (both paediatric and adult) and COPD.
- secondary care audits – continuous audits of admissions to hospital, in combination with a biennial snapshot audit of service organisation and resource for:
- COPD – continuous since February 2017.
- adult asthma – to commence in November 2018.
- paediatric asthma - to commence in June 2019.
- pulmonary rehabilitation – a continuous clinical audit of service provision and delivery, with a biennial snapshot audit of service organisation and resource in March 2019.
- quality improvement - integrated into all workstreams, resources, events and materials which will provide teams with support for service development and improvement.
Regular information and updates will be disseminated about NACAP and its workstreams. Communication mechanisms will include Twitter (@NACAPaudit), NACAP and workstream specific newsletters and the new NACAP webpages (www.rcplondon.ac.uk/nacap).
Further information, including audit timelines and how to register for update, can be found via the NACAP webpages www.rcplondon.ac.uk/nacap.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the NACAP team on:
Telephone: 020 3075 1526