National Booking Service – Booking Functionality Reinstated for Self-Declaring Health and Social Care Workers


• Earlier this month, functionality for frontline eligible health and social care workers to book their COVID-19 vaccination through the National Booking Service ( or 119) through self-referral temporarily stopped.

• Please note that this functionality for frontline eligible health and social care workers has been reinstated.

• The same eligibility checks and ID requirements remain in place for frontline eligible health and social care workers – please see eligibility guidance below. While these are the points of guidance in use, we are considering further information to reduce the risk of eligible people being refused (including wider definitions of those eligible, and a reminder that some may be self-employed or are students on placement outside the NHS).

External Affairs
NHS England and NHS Improvement


Eligibility checks for frontline eligible health and social care workers

When the individual arrives for their appointment

They should verbally declare to the person at the vaccination site that is booking them in that:

• they are a health or social care worker
• the type of role/work they do
• the name of their employer

The person should also show further proof of employment as a health or social care worker such as one of the following:
• A recent letter from their employer
• A staff ID badge
• A recent (last 3 months) payslip which shows their employer.

The individual should be informed, by the person recoding their vaccination, that it will be recorded that they are a health or social care worker.

Who are eligible frontline social care or health care workers in England?

People that have direct contact with patients, clients or service users at higher risk from coronavirus (COVID-19).

Health workers, for example:
• you work in a clinical role (such as a doctor or nurse)
• you have contact in a non-clinical role (such as a receptionist or porter)
• you work in a hospital laboratory, mortuary or a funeral home

Social care workers, for example:
• you are a registered professional in social care (such as a social worker or nurse)
• you work in residential care, nursing care or in supported living
• you provide personal care for people in their homes

The following are, however, not eligible within this priority group as defined by the JCVI:
• Administrative staff who do not have any direct contact with clients.
• Social care workers working with children who are not considered priority within the context of the JCVI priority cohorts 1-9 (children under 16 who do not have underlying health conditions leading to greater risk of disease or mortality and children who have no underlying health conditions).